There is a point every Charlotte winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help cut back and cut down drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some beneficial tips to find your Charlotte home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and fractures in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the normal windows with operable capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket by the functional portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only operate as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Charlotte to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Charlotte a call at 704-228-9149 with any additional questions or potential replacement needs.